Notebooks are folders in the Notes Tool that let you group and organize your notes. It’s possible to have notes that aren’t connected to a notebook, just as it is possible for notebooks to be empty, containing no notes.
As you study your way through a passage of Scripture, you may want to create a series of notes and highlights recording your observations, questions, and discoveries. Notebooks allow you to organize these notes and highlights into one place, even if your research has caused you to open and highlight dozens of different resources.
Skip ahead to:
- Create a Notebook
- Create a Sermon Notebook
- Sharing Notebooks from Logos
- Sharing Notebooks from the Web App
- Delete a Notebook
- Add Notes to Notebooks
- Searching Notebooks
Create a Notebook
Click the Navigation Drawer icon , and select the Notebook icon .
Add a Notebook.
Click the Plus icon and type the name of your new Notebook. Press Enter when you are finished. Logos adds your new Notebook to the list of available notebooks.
Create a Sermon Notebook
You can add notes to a sermon-specific notebook right from the Sermon Builder. These can be notes to yourself regarding what worked and what didn’t, or they can be the place you store observations and discoveries as you prepare your sermons. A sermon notebook is a regular notebook, but linked to a particular sermon.
To start a new sermon notebook, make a new note in the sidebar:
- Open a sermon in the Sermon Builder.
- Expand the Information pane by clicking the information icon .
- Click the Notebooks icon .
- Click New note.
That’s it! Your new note is automatically saved in a new notebook with the same name as your sermon title. Alternatively, you can link an existing notebook to your sermon with the notebook button (select an existing notebook from the dropdown).
Note: When you’re working on a sermon document, you can also fill your sermon with existing notes from any notebook. For help adding existing notes to a sermon document, see the support article on the Sermon Builder.
Sharing Notebooks from Logos
Whether you’ve finished your study and want to share your discoveries with others, or you want to collaborate with others in your study, you can quickly and easily share notebooks with the entire community of Logos users or with a specific Faithlife group.
To share a notebook, click the Share button on the toolbar, and then choose whether to make your notebook public or to share it with a specific Faithlife group.
Note: You can also select a notebook’s more options icon and choose Share.
Make a notebook public
- Toggle Make document public to Yes (switching the toggle back to No unshares your notebook)
- Click Copy to copy a link to the notebook (after you have copied the link, you can share it with others)
- Click Done.
Share a notebook with a group
- Select the Group tab.
- Select the group to which you want to share the notebook from the dropdown menu. If you don’t already have a group set up, create a new Faithlife group.
- To enable collaboration in the notebook by anyone in your group, check Collaborate (everyone can edit).
Users in the group to which you’ve shared the notebook can find it by opening the Docs menu and selecting the Groups tab.
Sharing Notebooks from the Web App
Sharing notebooks from the web offers a greater variety of sharing options than are currently available in-app. To share from the web:
- Open your preferred web browser to Logos Documents
- Hover over the notebook you wish to share to reveal the Actions button
- Click Actions and choose from the available sharing options:
- Publish allows groups to open a copy of this document
- Collaborate allows an entire group to own and edit the document along with you.
- Choose which groups to share your document with, then click Publish or Collaborate depending on which sharing options you’ve selected.
Delete a Notebook
You may discover that you have a notebook you no longer need. You can easily delete it from the Notes Tool with a few clicks.
- Select the Notebook you want to delete.
- Click the Panel Menu icon, and choose Delete from the available options.
- Logos deletes the Notebook and all notes in that notebook.
You can restore a deleted notebook and the deleted notes by clicking Trash as shown above. This opens a list of deleted Notes and Notebooks. Click Undelete to restore the Notebook and click Done.
Add Notes to Notebooks
Don’t worry if you forget to create new notes within a particular notebook. You can add any existing note to a Notebook at any time. You can even re-assign notes to a different notebook.
Add a New Note to a Notebook
- Create a new note.
You can create a note from the Selection Menu, Context Menu, or by opening the Notes Tool from the Tools Menu.
- Expand the Set Notebook menu and select a notebook.
Add an Existing Note to a Notebook
- Select Note(s).
Click the note you want to add to a Notebook. Add multiple notes by holding Ctrl (Windows) or Cmd (macOS) and clicking each note you want to add. Select a series of notes by clicking the first note, holding Shift, and clicking the last note in the series. Selecting multiple notes activates a menu to apply changes to all the selected notes.
- Expand the Set Notebook menu and select a notebook.
Click the dropdown menu located in the top row just above the Font options.
Note: A note can only be in one Notebook at a time. If a note fits in multiple locations in your system, create additional tags for the note. (Learn more about using tags.)
Assign a Note to a Different Notebook
You can re-assign a note by selecting the note(s) and selecting a different notebook from the dropdown menu.
Learn more about the Notes Tool.
As you create notebooks during your study, you may find it easier to use the search field within the Notebooks pane to find the one you’re looking for.
To find a specific notebook:
- Expand the contents menu
- Click the notebooks icon
- Click the search icon to the right of Notebooks
- Begin entering the notebook’s title.
You can also browse for a particular notebook from the Filters tab, by scrolling down the list of filters until you reach Notebooks.