Sermon Builder is a sermon creation tool that lets you quickly create a sermon manuscript, a slide presentation, handouts, and discussion question simultaneously. Focus on your sermon content and build out documents for your service at the same time.
Skip ahead to:
- Start a Sermon
- Add Sermon Info
- Add Sermon Content
- Style and Edit Slides
- Export Your Sermon
- Edit or Delete a Sermon
- Additional Sermon Builder Videos
Note: Sermon Builder is distinct from the Sermon Starter Guide. While the Sermon Starter Guide provides you with quick access to all of the resources in your Logos library, the Sermon Builder is designed to facilitate the creation of your sermon and supplemental documents.
Start a Sermon
You can start a sermon document from several locations in Logos, but two deserve special attention:
- Sermon Manager: If you planned your sermon with Sermon Manager, click the title of your planned sermon to open it.
- Docs Menu: To create a blank sermon document, click Docs > New > Sermon.
Note: To open a previously-created sermon from the Docs menu, filter or search the Docs menu to locate your desired sermon. You can also access the Sermon Builder via the Tools menu.
Add Sermon Info
The Sermon Info pane holds important details about your sermon. The more metadata you add, the easier it will be for you to find at a later date. If you use Faithlife to publish your sermons, this metadata will help others discover your sermon and know what it’s about.
Note: If you don’t see the Sermon Info panel, click the info icon to the right of the Publish button to toggle it on.
If you publish your sermon to Faithlife Sermons, the sermon info you provide is indexed and searchable. Many of the input fields are preloaded with consistent naming conventions, like the topics and reference fields. This helps you stay consistent and avoid duplicate tags.
- Series: Provide a series title to add the sermon to a series.
- Topics: Begin typing to show predefined biblical topics and themes. Select one from the list to add it to your sermon details. You can add multiple topics.
- Passages: Add a biblical passage by typing and choosing the passage from the list below. You can add multiple passages.
- Description: Provide a couple of sentences describing the sermon’s content.
- Private Notes: Unlike the other sermon metadata, your private notes will not publish to Faithlife Sermons, but are visible to you when viewing the sermon in Logos.
- Speaker: By default, your name shows for any sermons you create. To change the speaker, provide a new name in the input field.
- Occasion: Add a date, venue (like a specific church or conference), and time (e.g., 10:00am Service).
- Audience: Provide audience segments like General Adult, Kids, Youth Group, Conference, or Other.
- Liturgy: Where applicable, add a liturgical day, season, and year.
Note: To create a template for use in the Sermon Manager, select Template at the top of the Sermon Info pane. Learn more about the Sermon Manager.
You can add notes connected to your sermon from the sermon notebook tab in the Info pane.
- To create a note, click New note to open the notes tool and add a personal note on your sermon. A notebook with the same name as your sermon will be created automatically.
- To add note content directly to your sermon from a previously-created note, open a notebook to view its notes.
Click the insert icon to insert content from your selected note into the sermon document. Click the edit icon to open the note for editing.
Note: Learn more about the Notes tool in Logos.
Add Sermon Content
Ensure the Edit tab is selected to add your content. Start writing your sermon by creating sermon headings and text on the left. While building your manuscript, you can generate slides, a handout, and a question document simultaneously.
How it works: As you write, Logos will automatically create slides and populate your handout and question documents based on the formatting options you select from the formatting toolbar. By default, headers generate slides and are added to your handouts and question documents automatically. Any standalone verses also generate slides automatically. Using the options below, you can create additional slides or add anything to your handout or question document.
The Formatting Toolbar
The formatting toolbar offers a variety of options and works similarly to other word processing software.
- Text Styles: Choose a text style from the dropdown menu.
- Normal: Use this style for the text of your sermon. Normal text will not automatically appear in slides, handouts, or questions.
- Heading (1, 2, 3, 4, 5): Logos will generate slides from each of your headings, as well as include them in your handouts and question documents.
- Blockquote: Set block quotations apart from the rest of your manuscript text.
- Illustration: Set your illustration apart from the rest of your manuscript text.
- Prompt: Set prompts apart from the rest of your manuscript text. Prompts will not be included when you export the transcript of your sermon.
- Formatting Styles: Call special attention to any text in your sermon manuscript. Click the styling dropdown to add font, color, and background color styling to selected text. Save any selection as a new style to use it in the future.
- Text Styling: Style any text with standard formatting options like bold, italics, or underline. You can also create bulleted or numbered lists or change the indentation of any selected text.
- Fill-in: Select any text and choose Fill-in from the formatting toolbar to generate a fill-in-the-blank style for the text in your printable handouts. Note: The text also needs to be marked with Include in Handout or Include in Questions.
- Include in Handout : Include text in the handout document by highlighting it and clicking the Handout button. Text included in the Handout document is indicated by a blue background. Selecting this option does not change the appearance of the text when you export it. Deselecting this option will remove the text from your Handout.
- Include in Questions : Include text in the Question document by highlighting it and clicking the Question button. Text included in the Question document is indicated by a green background. Selecting this option does not change the appearance of the text when you export it. Deselecting this option will remove the text from your Question document.
- Undo/Redo: Undo to remove the last content change or redo to add a removed content change back into your document.
- Add Slides from Selected Text : Click to create a slide from any selected text in your sermon document.
- Add Slides from Selected References : If you’ve added a reference within a paragraph, Logos can generate a Bible slide for that reference if you select the paragraph and click this button.
- Clear markup: Clear styling on any selected text with the clear markup button.
Note: Bible slides show your preferred Bible by default, though you can change the displayed version from the dropdown.
The Document Toolbar
The document toolbar allows you to switch between the different documents within your sermon.
- Outline: Click the outline menu icon to show an outline of your main headings.
- Edit: Select the edit tab to add content to your sermon document.
- Text: Display a text-only view of your sermon.
- Slides: Show all of the slides in your sermon document.
- Handout: View your handout. If you have fill-in-the-blank words, you can show or hide answers in your handout. You can print this document from the Publish menu as shown below.
- Question: View your question document. You can print this document from the Publish menu as shown below.
Style and Edit Slides
To change the styling or the wording for any generated slide, right-click the slide and choose Edit.
To change text displayed on the slide, make changes in the content panel on the left and view your changes live on the right.
Note: You can add animations and other presentation features after exporting your sermon to presentation software like Proclaim or Powerpoint.
To change the styling of your slide, click Find Media and filter and search to locate an appropriate background. Select it and choose Update Sermon.
Did you know? You can apply your background style to all slides in your sermon by right-clicking the altered slide and choosing Apply Style to All Slides.
Export Your Sermon
The Sermon Builder provides a variety of export options.
- Share: Make your sermon document public or share it with a group (you can enable group collaboration to allow others in your group to edit the document). Learn more about working with documents.
- Preach: Enter preaching mode to view a speaker-friendly version of your sermon document. Learn more about preaching mode.
- Publish: View several options to export your sermon:
- Send to Faithlife Proclaim exports your sermon slides to Faithlife Proclaim. (Proclaim must be installed on your computer, requires a separate software license.)
- Post to Faithlife Sermons uploads your sermon text, handout, and question document to Faithlife Sermons.
- Export to PowerPoint sends your sermon slides to Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Print / Export opens a dialog allowing you to print your sermon text, copy it to your clipboard, or save it in a variety of file formats, including PDF, HTML, or Word.
Note: When you click Print/Export from the panel menu , Logos opens the Publish dialog.
Edit or Delete a Sermon
You can edit or delete a sermon from the Documents menu or the Sermon Manager.
Expand the documents menu and filter, search, or sort to locate your desired sermon and open it (to edit) or right-click and click Delete to permanently delete it.
Open the Sermon Manager from the Tools menu and filter, search, or sort to locate your desired sermon. Click the sermon title to open it (to edit) or select the sermon row and scroll to the bottom of the Sermon Info panel to delete the sermon.
Note: You can delete multiple sermons simultaneously by pressing ctrl on Windows or cmd on macOS and selecting multiple sermons (to select adjacent sermons, hold shift and click the first and last sermon. With your desired sermons selected, delete the sermons using a method above.
Additional Sermon Builder Videos
Note: These videos were recorded using a previous version of Logos. To see videos featuring Logos 8, visit this page.
Creating a Sermon Document
Using Media and Creating Slides
Sermon Editor: Getting Started
Sermon Editor: Overview
Sermon Editor: Creating Slides
Sermon Editor: Export
Sermon Editor: Handouts
Sermons in Faithlife