You can use Basic search to perform a quick search for a word or phrase in your entire Logos Library, or in specific fields within specific tools or sets of resources. Basic search is useful for finding general information before diving in to more specific searches.
To begin a Basic Search.
- Click the Search button in the command box.
- Ensure that the Basic search type is selected. (Other search types available depend on your base package.)
- Logos provides several tools to help you formulate an effective query:
- Search Helps (in the main search pane) provide basic guidance about how to construct your search.
- Search Templates allow you to build a more complex search without having to use search syntax. Instead, select the kind of search you want to make, then entering your search terms in the dialog box that appears. Search Templates appear in the left navigation menu, which can be toggled on/off using the navigation menu icon .
- Search Suggestions: As you type, Logos will populate a list of suggestions to help you refine your search. For best results, select one of these. Otherwise, finish typing your search query and press Enter.
Refining Your Search
Using Search Operators
You can use search operators to create more advanced searches. For example, if you'd like to find a phrase containing two words, but you don't know the exact phrase, try typing [word] WITHIN 5 WORDS [word]. Your search results will display every occurrence where the two words you entered are mentioned within five words of each other.
Limit Resources Searched
You can limit or expand your search to specific resources by clicking All Resources. Type the name of the resource you want to search in the dialog box that appears, or by make a selection from the drop-down menu. Note: Depending on the resources selected, the Search Field or Search Passage menus may disappear.
Setting a search field determines what category of resource or part of a resource you would like to search.
To change your search field, click All Text to open the Search Field drop-down menu. Click on the arrow icon to expand the options under Search Fields. For example, you can choose to search only resource descriptions by selecting the check box next to Description.
If you limit your basic search to one or more Bibles, or to a Series, the Search Passage drop-down menu will appear. Clicking All Passages opens a dialog allowing you to limit your search to a specific range of text.
Logos Help: Basic Search