Clause search allows you to search every sentence clause in the Bible for terms acting in specific grammatical or semantic roles.
Note: Requires at least the Bronze Logos base package.
To begin a Clause search.
- Click the Search icon in the command box.
- Ensure that the Clause search type is selected. (Other search types available depend on your base package.)
- To begin, select the part of the Bible you want to search by clicking the Search Resource drop-down menu and selecting one of the options.
- Next, select the resource you want to search.
Note: although you can search entirely in English, your search results will be based on the grammatical and semantic relations in the original language version.
- Clause search queries are composed of fields (a grammatical or semantic category) and terms (e.g. a noun). Pay close attention to the suggestions Logos provides as you type; these may help you build a more precise search query. (In some cases you must select a suggestion in order to disambiguate your search term.) Logos provides several tools to help you formulate an effective query:
- Search Helps (in the main search pane) provide basic guidance about how to construct your search.
- Search Templates allow you to build a more complex search without having to use search syntax. Instead, select the kind of search you want to make, then entering your search terms in the dialog box that appears. Search Templates appear in the left navigation menu, which can be toggled on/off using the navigation menu icon .
- Search Suggestions: As you type, Logos will populate a list of suggestions to help you refine your search. For best results, select one of these. Otherwise, finish typing your search query and press Enter.
Logos can display your search results in two ways:
The Verses view displays your search results in the version you searched. Clicking a search result (highlighted phrase) opens it in a new window in the clicked Bible.
The Analysis view displays detailed grammatical and semantic information from the original language version of your search results.
Refining Your Search
You can limit your search to specific sections of the Bible, or to a Passage List, by clicking All Passages and typing a reference or by selecting a suggested section or range of verses from the drop-down menu.
Using Search Operators
You can use operators to create more advanced searches. For example, if you'd like to find a media item that contains specific elements, try [field]:[term] OR [field]:[term]. Your search results will display items that match either of your search terms.
List of Clause Search Fields
You can find a complete list of search fields in Logos Help: Search Fields.
Logos Documentation: Hebrew and Greek Clauses: Dataset Documentation
Logos Documentation: Semantic Roles and Case Frames: Dataset Documentation
Logos Documentation: Lexham Glossary of Semantic Roles.
Logos Documentation: Bible Sense Lexicon: Dataset Documentation
Faithlife Groups: Hebrew and Greek Clauses Dataset Group