The Factbook provides detailed information on a wide variety of biblical and non-biblical areas with links to other places in Logos where you can learn more. Whether you’re looking for information on a person, place, event, or concept, the Factbook gathers useful information and consolidates links for further exploration. It’s a great entry point for studying a particular topic.
Skip ahead to:
Open the Factbook
Use the Tools Menu
- Click Tools and select Factbook.
- Enter the name of a person, place, thing, event, or topic into the search field and press Enter.
Use the Context Menu
- Right-click the word you want to look up.
- Words with existing Factbook entries display a label in the left-hand column. Click the label to expand options in the right-hand column. Click Factbook to open the entry for your chosen word.
Note: Metaphors do not always have Factbook entries. In this case, find a concrete use of the word. For example, “treasure” in 2 Cor. 4:7 does not link to a Factbook entry, but “treasure” in Matt. 13:44 is linked to the Factbook entry.
Use Visual Filters
- Click the Visual Filters icon . Check the boxes labeled Addressee and Speaker labels. With these selected, you can quickly access the Factbook entries corresponding to these labels. (Learn more about Visual Filters.)
- Click the icon to the left of the word in your text to open the Factbook entry.
In Isaiah 7:6, the prophet Isaiah says, “Because Aram has plotted evil against you with Ephraim and the son of Remaliah, saying, ‘Let us go up against Judah and let us tear her apart.’” The Visual Filter displays multiple addressee and speaker labels, one of which is for Pekah. Clicking the corresponding icon opens the Factbook entry for Pekah.
The information returned by the Factbook depends on what topic you’re searching for. In other words, not every search in the Factbook will yield hits in every one of these sections. Logos only displays those sections containing hits for the search term. Except for the Info section, each of the sections listed below is expandable by clicking the arrow next to the title.
- Info: The first section of the Factbook provides basic facts about the entity including important dates, (hyperlinked to the Timeline). This section also includes descriptions, and notable features.
- Media: Find links to relevant images, or Atlas links for places.
- Quotes: Notable quotes from the person, including links to resources.
- Letters: This section provides links to and excerpts from Personal Letter resources for the given author.
- Works: A list of resources created by the author with links to the work in your Library or to the Logos store if you don’t already own it.
- Passages: A list of passages related to the event, theme, or topic. The first few will be listed in full, and others will have verse reference links. Also includes links to Save as a Passage List or to Open all passages in your preferred Bible.
- Events: Links to Timeline events for the entity, including links to the Biblical Event Navigator (if owned).
- Dictionaries: Links to relevant articles in dictionaries in your Library that have been topically-aligned.
- Senses: Lists all of the alternate meanings of Greek or Hebrew lemmas and where they occur. Links to the Bible Sense Lexicon.
- Preaching Resources: A list of hits for the theme or topic in the Preaching Theme-tagged resources in your Library.
- Referred To As: Bible verses, grouped by how the entity is mentioned, with number of hits and a Sparkline graph of locations in the Bible.
- Lemmas: List of the original language words by which the entity is mentioned in Hebrew, Greek, or Aramaic as relevant.
- Cultural Concepts: A link to the concept’s article in the Lexham Cultural Ontology Glossary, a hierarchy of the concept’s type, and search results for the concept within your Library.
- Domain: Lists other Topics related to the given topic and lists relevant word-senses related to that topic, linked to the Bible Sense Lexicon.
- Semantic roles: Lists the ways a person appears in the text (e.g. Agent, Experiencer, Stimulus, etc.). Learn more about Semantic roles in Logos.
- Library Results: A search on your Library resources for the entity.
- Journals: Links to relevant journal articles within your Library.
- Sermons: Links to relevant sermons within your Library.
Note: A Factbook entry may have sermon links but not links to other Preaching Resources.
- Community Tags: Places within resources where other users have tagged a section of text as referring to the entity.
- Bookstore: Links to the Logos bookstore to purchase relevant titles.
- See Also: Links to other tools or locations within Logos for further information on the entity.
- Respond: Factbook entries are automatically generated. Using the Respond box, you can submit suggestions for edits, improvements, or additions to the Factbook entry.
Bible Book Guides
Searching the Factbook for a book of the Bible returns several unique sections. These break down relevant details of the book, with links to commentaries, dictionaries, and guides.
- Content: Links to your resources providing overviews, outlines, and contents.
- Origin: Links to your resources providing information on the book’s authorship, date of writing, and purpose.
- Background: Links to your resources providing historical context, information about the book’s recipients if relevant, and the location of its writing.
- Objects: Links to resources providing information related to the Geography, Date and Place of writing, Key Figures, etc.
- Canon: Links to your resources discussing the canonical status and placement of the book.
- Form: Links to your resources detailing the book’s composition, text, title, style, and structure.
- Meaning: Links to your resources discussing the book’s themes, emphases, interpretation, theology, significance, and spiritual content.