The Atlas tool allows you to visualize the biblical world by connecting biblical events to the places they occurred. It provides access to an interactive map database that is updated and maintained by Faithlife. Because the Atlas presents a large quantity of visual information, it requires an active internet connection.
Links to the Atlas tool appear in the Context menu, as well as Passage Guide, and Everything search.
Note: The performance of the Atlas tool is constrained by a number of factors, including internet and computer speed. If you have a Logos Cloud subscription, try the Atlas tool in the Logos Web App.
Open the Atlas tool by clicking Tools > Reference > Atlas. The Atlas may also display in the Core tools section.
The Atlas tool is composed of three areas.
The sidebar contains a list of map layers corresponding to biblical events, and a search box that allows you to filter this list.
You can search for a specific biblical passage, place, event, person, and more by entering your search query in the search box. As you type, a drop-down list of suggested queries will appear. You can select one of these, or continue typing and press Enter.
Depending on whether your search query has one or more results, a new map will open or a list of map options will appear. Selecting one of the options will open it in the map area.
The sidebar also displays results from your search in any media collections in your Logos library.
The toolbar allows you to customize the appearance of the Atlas tool.
- Click the navigation menu icon to show/hide the sidebar.
- Drag the Slider to change the map scale.
- Click Fit to zoom to scale the map to fit the layer you’ve selected.
- Click Full Screen to toggle full screen (reading) mode. Exit full screen mode by pressing Esc.
- Switch between flat and terrain basemaps by selecting the Basemap drop-down menu and making a selection.
- Navigate forward and backward through map layers you’ve viewed by clicking the back and forward arrows .
The map area displays the basemap as well as the layer you have selected.
- A map legend appears in the upper left. Expand and collapse the legend by clicking on the double arrow icon on the right.
- Zoom in and out using the plus and minus icons in the upper right of the map.
- The north arrow designates north in the map. Click and drag to change the maps orientation.
- A scale bar appears in the lower right of the map area.
Explore a Map
Maps within the Atlas tool have several interactive features:
- Drag to move around the map.
Hovering over a map feature opens a tooltip displaying a portion of the Factbook entry for that location.
- Clicking on a labelled location performs a search for that location in other map layers.
To measure distance, press and hold Cmd (Mac) or Ctrl (Windows), click your starting location, and drag the mouse. A circle will appear over the map with a label displaying the radius of the circle.
Print or Export a Map
You can print or export a map to several different file formats. To do so, open the Atlas panel menu and select Print/Export. A dialog box will appear with printing and exporting options.
Logos Help: Atlas