Fixing Problems With Fonts that May Affect Logos
Read this article if you experience any of the following:
- Hebrew or Greek resources appear to be blank or empty.
- Special characters show up as blank or squares.
- Lexham Discourse Markup does not display correctly.
- Logos hangs (freezes) while opening or editing a text field or opening a layout.
Solution 1: Changing Fonts
Blank characters and squares are usually caused by fonts that do not contain the necessary Unicode glyphs for specific languages or characters. This most often affects specific words or special characters in modern language resources. You may need to change font settings to a supported Unicode font:
- Navigate to Tools > Program Settings
- Scroll down to the Fonts section.
- Change the font for the affected language.
While troubleshooting, it is recommended to choose Default from the list of fonts if this option is available.
If this resolves the issue, we can safely assume the font that was previously selected (usually "TrueType", 3rd party or stylized) does not support the language or text that was affected. You may want to avoid using that font in Logos.
Solution 2: Refresh the Font Cache
If the Logos hangs (freezes) or if entire resources appear blank (usually in Greek or Hebrew books), this could indicate a problem with the Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache. It will need to be manually rebuilt to resolve the issue.
Step 1: End the Font Cache Service
- Right-click Start menu ( or press the Start key on the keyboard).
- Click Search.
- Type "Services".
- Select the Services app.
- Double-click on "Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 184.108.40.206".
- Click the "Stop" button1.
Step 2: Delete the Font Cache files
- Right-click the Start menu .
- Click Run.
- Copy and paste the following into the field C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local and click OK.
- Delete the FontCache220.127.116.11.dat file.
- If other cache files appear you may need to delete them as well.
Note: Do not delete any folders.
Step 3: Restart Windows
Restart the computer to complete the process.